View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #778
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Mickelson is one of the smartest and most media savvy athletes I have ever seen.

However in this case those qualities were trumped by his massive ego. He has enough money so that he won't feel the affects of this personally, but he has wanted to build an enduring brand and financial empire that will never be what he had hoped for now.
I don't really see him as so smart and savvy. He's built himself as a popular persona and that's about it.

He made this all about 'woe on me' for not owning his NFT footage, and bitching about the lesser known players having too much say on the tour. And then trying to frame those hardships as being worth it to take money from the journalist killing, gay-executing Saudis. At least he managed to not directly compare his plight to that of Khashoggi or gay Saudis I suppose.

He made a fool of himself bitching about taxes a decade ago, and there was nothing the least bit savvy about what he provided to the narrative on this issue.

Bottom line is Phil is a big deal for what he does against the world's best golfers. Phil hitting fancy shots without the tour or the majors is not that compelling. He doesn't get that, and he also doesn't get that there aren't really billions of dollars in golf footage NFTs.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote