View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 01:07 PM   #133
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Well, the simple answer is that not all panels are the same. I'm looking at a quote given to a friend for a 6.035kW system, using 17 LG 355 panels, with an estimated yearly production of 7,657 kWh. I live in Los Angeles, which gets about 3,250 hours of sunshine per year, compared to Calgary, which only gets about 2,395.

The LG 355 panels are really good, but really expensive. A quick google search tells me they're going for about $560 CAD plus tax right now. You could get a much cheaper panel that is rated for 355 watts, but what most people don't realize is that no panel will actually produce what it is rated for, even in the middle of the day in the middle of summer with no clouds in the sky. Those wattage ratings are achieved under perfect conditions in a lab.

So company A could offer you a 10kW system for a high price, and it might actually be capable of producing 8kW under great conditions in late June with no clouds in the sky. Company B could offer you the same 10kW system for maybe 75% of the price, but it might only be capable of producing 7kW at any one time, or even less. The premium panels will also produce more in the winter months than the cheap panels.

What kills me is hearing you guys talk as though you actually pay 6c per kilowatt hour. Add up all the transmission, distribution, and paperwork fees plus your cost per Kwh and divide that by your total kWh consumed to get the true cost. If Enmax were actually charging 6c per kWh, nobody would be putting solar panels on their homes. I'm charged 17.4c per kWh for the first 700 kWh every two months, 24c for kWh 701-2100, and 31c for every kWh after that, and I'm still trying to decide if it is worth it.

I recommend checking out a guy named Will Prowse on Youtube if you're serious about having solar installed. The way to go is to install some server rack batteries and store the electricity in them for use after the sun goes down. You get get good 5.12kWh server rack batteries for about $1800 US a pop.
Definitely can be differences in quality of panels for sure. But I've seen quotes using a different amount of solar potential for the same roof - more aggressive weather assumptions don't make one installer any better.

It's stupid that they break the pricing out the way they do (and timun's post above mine is awesome!) But 17.4 cents USD/kWh is more than i pay all-in, and those higher figures are a lot more.

The Alberta power grid is pretty low cost.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote