View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #132
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
What kills me is hearing you guys talk as though you actually pay 6c per kilowatt hour. Add up all the transmission, distribution, and paperwork fees plus your cost per Kwh and divide that by your total kWh consumed to get the true cost. If Enmax were actually charging 6c per kWh, nobody would be putting solar panels on their homes. I'm charged 17.4c per kWh for the first 700 kWh every two months, 24c for kWh 701-2100, and 31c for every kWh after that, and I'm still trying to decide if it is worth it.
Ahhhhh, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. I was talking to one of my coworkers this morning whose power bill was about double what it "normally" is, but she has no idea why because she doesn't really know how to suss out the details of her bill. (Which is actually funny in a sad way, because we do consulting work for Enmax!)

It's a result of the provincial government "deregulating" (I still don't know why we call it that, because it's still massively heavily regulated...) the industry, and our T&D charges, rate riders, etc. not actually being explained in any way as a result. People have no idea how those charges are calculated because it's not actually shown on anyone's bills.

Due to this one just sees lump sum amounts on their bills and won't really know or understand on first glance that most of those extra fees, riders, access charges, etc. are charged on a per-kWh basis.

My last electricity bill covered November 19 to December 17, 2021, and was $53.27. I have a contract for $0.0669/kWh in retail energy charges. That said, the actual per-kWh charges break down like this:
  • Energy Charge = $0.0669/kWh
  • a portion of the Distribution Charge, the System Usage Charge = $0.012168/kWh
  • Transmission Charge = $0.038763/kWh
  • Balancing Pool Allocation = $0.002354/kWh
  • Transmission Access Charge (TAC; this buried in the rate riders) = ($0.003116/kWh)
  • TAC Deferral Adjustment (also buried in rate riders) = ($0.00248/kWh)
  • Utility Deferral Adjustment-E = $0.00043/kWh
  • a portion of the Local Access Fee (LAF) = $0.018054/kWh

(The math on the LAF is kind of annoying, but basically this is 11.11% of a blend of the regulated rates in November and December apportioned based on the number of days in each month in the billing period, plus 11.11% of the system usage charge... There is also a fixed per-day cost buried in the LAF on top of the above.)

All told, the actual usage rate (to me) is $0.13307/kWh. (Plus about $0.91/day in fixed charges.)

On the Regulated Rate Option (RRO) my bill would have been $63.31, or about 19% higher, with overall per-kWh costs of $0.1805/kWh. And it would be even higher this past month; the RRO in January was $0.15876/kWh, plus a $0.0468/day rider charge. In February the RRO is $0.1652/kWh (plus the per-day charge).

For anyone who's still on the RRO: GO CHANGE YOUR PLAN RIGHT NOW. You're getting reamed on energy charges; if you're with Enmax you can switch over to a $0.0749/kWh 5-year contract, which you can actually switch out of at will over the five years if the rates consistently drop.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post: