View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 09:46 PM   #1232
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
To the bold, the players have to actually be willing to sign those deals. If you were Mangiapane, would you have signed a long term deal at a low AAV, or would you rather bet on yourself?

As to the second paragraph, only a fool thinks the GMs aren't planning for all contingencies going forward. Even so, no one can predict what the future holds, and criticizing others in retrospect, is pretty weak.

Some contracts work out great, and others you wish you did differently. Suggesting the GM 'didn't foresee' how it would play out is empty hindsight.
If I was Andrew Mangiapane back in 2020, I’m absolutely taking a long term deal because at the time, I was a 6th round pick that had just played my first full NHL season without any time in the minors. For me, I thought it was a great time for the Flames to get him on a decently priced long term deal. He had 30 goal scorer written all over him.

I think it’s very fair to look at everything that a GM does and doesn’t do. It’s not always the big obvious screwups that should be critiqued. Sometimes it’s subtle ones too, they all count because it contributes to the overall body of work.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote