View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #355
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
What do you people think the costs are of delivering the electricity? ...
I don't understand how people can be this obtuse - power is expensive not only to produce, but to transmit and maintain the transmission infrastructure...
"Well, this is the cost, people!". "If you want to pay less, expect get less services!" This is the same kind of post. Regulated energy delivery is not a simple thing, but in the end, it means, that providers' and distributors' profits are limited to a governed rate, which is around 3% or 4% a year on their costs, I believe. There is a good reason Berkshire Hathaway bought AltaLink - it's like a AAA guaranteed bond. But it is their costs that are a problem. For anyone who had to deal with ENMAX or AltaLink or ATCO – they are operating like USSR-type bureaucracies - taking their sweet time to design simplest things, to respond to an email, to attend a meeting, to provide outrageously long schedules without any chance of negotiation or challenge etc. Their staff and management salaries, benefits and administration overhead are gigantic. They own beautiful buildings and they allocate/download costs of owning and operating these buildings to these little fees and charges.

As an engineer, I would be the first one to vouch for public safety over costs. But efficiency is hardly second on their list of priorities.