View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 10:04 PM   #466
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've gone from a 4.5B estimate for the ENTIRE line (Seton to 160 Ave) including underground tunnel through downtown and to 16 Ave N. 46km, 28 stations.

Today we are looking at 5.5B+ for:

- 18-20km; 13-15 stations (depending on if they actually build across the Bow)
- Surface level north of downtown
- cut and cover through downtown with less total underground (more disruption)
- to essentially serve the least populated segments (ie. of the 46km line, we are initially building the 15km least populated - hence why the ROW is actually available and ready to go)

I understand the original estimate was obviously low, and things got accelerated quickly from a mid/long-term idea to quicker reality when Harper dangled the pre-election spend. Reducing scope was inevitable...what I can't understand is why every single other thing has been on the table to get cut/reconsidered except for the actual mode of travel (ie. train vs. bus)???

The Elbow River to Shephard is roughly 15km. Ramsay, Inglewood, Ogden, Riverbend, Quarry Park, Douglasdale/glen = 36k residents (give or take a bunch).

Blue Line from old science centre to 69 street is about 7.5km. Much maligned that we should have built the north central line first (I agree). The following communities = 70k (+/-)
Spoiler!

A bunch more communities could be included or not in each list, but I think it's pretty apples to apples in terms of proximity to stations. Of course Mckenzie/Auburn Bay/Cranston/etc add massive populations if we expand beyond the Shephard terminus (though it's about 2.5km from there to 130 Ave where those communities even begin), but there is a lot of population in Aspen/Springbank Hill/West Springs etc. that is much closer and I didn't include for the blue line.

More jobs near the green line, but the vast majority are on the other side of the canal.

I feel like I could rant forever here...what am I missing? This seems like such an obvious boondoggle at this point. Please convince me I'm wrong.

FWIW I am in favour of spending lots of money on transit...but the cost vs. benefit of the current plan makes no sense at all to me.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: