View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #1010
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Are people with children overly concerned with walkability, entertainment, culture, and restaurants? I have a 2.5 year old and basically none of those rate highly on my pyramid of needs. People have different priorities at different phases of life. Even a multi bedroom inner city townhouse would be mediocre to raise my kid in compared to the lifestyle I grew up with. Small yard, traffic, constant supervision required.

Part of the reason condos have done so poorly here. They are primarily purchased or rented by younger adults without children. After oil crashed we shed a ton of young professionals and those who had their kept jobs moved on to the next phase in life, which meant trading upwards if possible to a SFH.
As someone with young children, actually one of the biggest virtues of inner city living is the availability of schools. One of the problems we've had with brand new communities, is that the schools so often lag the development of the community. My kids will be 400m from their school from K-12.