View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #554
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I get you hate Calgary, but it's part of your hatred of the city that you think the Flames are the be all and end all. Imagine thinking one of the most mediocre franchises in world sport is the driver of civic pride. Interesting theory, at least.
Barking up the wrong tree here friend. I love Calgary and will always be proud of being born and raised there, and living longer in Calgary than most of the posters on this board have been alive. I may have left Calgary, but I will always have a very soft spot for the Calgary I knew and love. The current city isn't the same as I remember, but it is still a city I point to with pride. Even though moving away, I still am attached and invested in Calgary. I recognize what Calgary is and how it compares elsewhere. Without the Flames, Calgary will be recognized by outside observers for only the Stampede and being the gateway to the Canadian Rockies. Just like without the Jets, Winnipeg was recognized as being... a desolate outpost in the middle of no where?

Again, since I'm so detached from Calgary, what exactly is that instills this incredible civic pride? What would bring people together the same way that the tribalism of sports does?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: