View Single Post
Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #2763
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
the culture is a rapper with a misspelled word as their name? how unique...never seen that before for the last 15 years.

With music being free their isn't much culture or talent these days in the mainstream, I know a lot of young people that feel the same way.

Take the we are the world video from the 80s...amazing talents from all backgrounds and genres. Imagine getting the top 30 artists together today and comparing.

I'm slightly over 35 but I have realized for a long time that today's popular music is ridiculously bad historically. (I have felt the same way since my 20s probably earlier)

Where is Michel Jackson? Ray Charles? Steve Perry? Aretha Franklin? Whitney Houston, Bruce Springsteen, and so on. Nobody today is even in the same stratosphere.

In 30 years nobody will be listening to some clown mumbling to a beat stolen from a 70s tune and calling it a classic IMO
This is silly. For one, Band Aid had some real nobodies on the track. This wasn’t 30 iconic artists, this was a few artists still doing their thing today and a bunch of artists nobody remembers or cares about. Is that much different?

We might not have an Aretha Franklin, but that’s largely because the musical landscape is so different, not because the musical talent is worse. That’s the same reason people might not remember Ed Sheeran as a “classic” in 20 years. There’s more selection than ever, things move faster than ever. Gone are the days of mom and pop buying one record a year and saying “gosh, that Ray Charles sure knows how to tickle the keys!” or whatever old timey thing you want to insert.

Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Adele, Kanye, etc etc. Lots of big artists who might be looked at fondly down the line. Who knows. “Where is our Bruce Springsteen??” I dunno? Look harder.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: