View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #680
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think what people are saying isn't that they don't think age 35 will be a problem, but they're not worrying about it since it's pretty much the cost of doing business on free agency day.

Coleman has me a little worried offensively though, some plays are dying on his stick more than I'd like. It's one thing to not be the driver offensively, but be elite in support creating more zone time, but we're not seeing that to the level I'd like.

Defensively it's hard to argue though, as he's been great.
And I guess with the system Sutter is rolling out it's key to have another player of his ilk to play in the top six.

Hoping he settles in and gets more going on the cycle along with production though.
I mentioned this in a past thread this week, but upon watching him all season I've really noticed that the last time I saw a winger who was THIS effective defensively (outside of Mark Stone, he's just an anomoly) was... Marian Hossa. The way Coleman backchecked on that Zadorov 59th minute giveaway vs the Flyers... it was Hossa-esque. You can't replicate that hockey sense with just youth.

Now Hossa produced a lot on the PP over his career, I don't expect Coleman to even play on ours, but I'm starting to believe Coleman can age well. The Blackhawks declined not because Hossa got bad, but because Hossa retired when he was still good in his LATE 30s. I realize that's an ELITE player, but that's who I'm starting to be reminded of (another defensive winger who aged really well has been Joe Pavelski, though he's played more centre as well). I'm starting to eat crow on the signing.

As for the offense, for now I'm not too concerned given how productive he was 5v5 in the past... just seems to be the ebbs and flows of playing 5v5. He hasn't shanked any perfect setups or anything, his goals have been legitimate, and at some point Backlund or Eatbread are going to get his confidence up... it's what those two do.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-24-2021 at 10:15 AM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote