View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #676
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
What? Age is too important to disregard. And cap management is the most important thing in hockey.

Coleman is 30 years old, has 5 years left after this year, makes 4.9 mill person season, and is on pace for 26 points in year 1 of the deal. This should be the part of the deal where the Flames get some value if the contract has any value whatsoever. How many 26 point 30 year olds are even in the league at the age of 35? Blake Comeau?

If "forward 4 and 5" are getting 26 points, that's a problem. Luckily, other guys are stepping up.

Lucic's contract looks great in comparison when you consider the term remaining. Dube and Mangiapane are currently underpaid. Linholm's contract is great.
Backlund has a reasonable amount of term remaining. Lewis has been almost as productive as Coleman. Same goes for Tanev, Gudbranson, and even Zadorov.

Danault, Hyman, and Saad all signed similar contracts and are producing more.
Mikael Granlund signed a 4 year 5 mill per deal and is over a point per game this season.

The Palmieri and Hoffman contracts are looking better as well. Foligno and Haula have struggled, but they have short term.

Based on production, this has been by far the worst contract signed, across the league, in this past free agency. And it's not remotely close.

I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to the roster, prospects, development, drafting, etc. But I am unable to do the mental gymnastics necessary to make myself think long term UFA deals are anything but foolish. I hope I'm wrong. I was wrong about hating the Tanev signing. But this deal has all the signs of being dreadful for the better part of a decade. This is my last word on the subject - there's nothing more to be said.
I think what people are saying isn't that they don't think age 35 will be a problem, but they're not worrying about it since it's pretty much the cost of doing business on free agency day.

Coleman has me a little worried offensively though, some plays are dying on his stick more than I'd like. It's one thing to not be the driver offensively, but be elite in support creating more zone time, but we're not seeing that to the level I'd like.

Defensively it's hard to argue though, as he's been great. And I guess with the system Sutter is rolling out it's key to have another player of his ilk to play in the top six.

Hoping he settles in and gets more going on the cycle along with production though.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote