View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #51
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
In today's world, how does a classical education help anybody climb the ladder quicker? Today's employers do not value the classical education, they value degrees that specifically apply to their lines of business and for the majority of University courses and degrees, there is no one-to-one translation outside of STEM and Business School.

That is the biggest problem I saw and getting into the STEM and business schools was so competitive, many kids who don't belong in university settled for Communications and Culture or Psychology or History or other liberal arts degrees which left them utterly dazed and confused about how to find a job that they would be happy with.

For a vast majority of my cohorts and friends who went to post secondary in the 2000s, many of us have a undergraduate degree from a Canadian University but many ended up going to BCIT, NAIT, SAIT, etc. to actually be able to get a professional job in industry and nobody told us this. We had to find out the hard way that our first and most expensive degrees were actually useless paper.

There is a lack of information for parents, coaching in highschools, and information from University to help teenagers make the right informed decisions about their future careers and how valued their degrees are in the real world of today. The unversities just want to take in as much tuition as possible.
Agree with a lot of what you say here. A classical education provides a foundation in the areas where leaders and visionaries need to excel. For some, that classical education starts much earlier in life than others. I've worked with people who went to prep schools whose classical education was much deeper and formative than people who went through grad school in specific humanities. That classical education just prepares you better for having a deeper appreciation for the human condition and making tough decisions that impact others. It also makes you appreciate more than just the bottom line thinking that comes out of business school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
In all seriousness, my number one piece of advice I give to any students today is to always apply for co-ops and internships while they are in school because that practical experience will mean far more than an employer than what they have on their degree unless they have a specific STEM field or specific business degree.

I love the classics and I wish that it was part of today's well rounded education as for centuries it was the basis for common thought and framing of western civilization but outside of writer, lawyer, or politician, I find little utility in today's workplace for a classical education.
I can hire a hundred people who can twist a widget or tell me our profit motive, but our organization struggles to find people who are true visionaries or can be effective evangelists for our message. That is where that classical education comes into play. Being in touch with our humanity, understanding the larger human condition, and being able to appreciate, interpret, and communicate those conditions in relation to the goals and objectives of our interest, and qualities that are priceless. As I said, education is for everyone, but a classical education is not for everyone. Most people would be fine with a tech school education.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: