View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #1131
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Pardon the bump, but it seems like the best place to ask:

I am an Apple ecosystem guy, I have an old TV that I'd like to put in the garage, but I can't really justify an Apple TV just for this. So I am thinking of going the Chromecast route.

When I have played with a friend's Chromecast, it seemed to work well from my iOS phone. And it also seemed to grab the stream more independently that what I experience with AirPlay, if that makes sense. Or in other words, if I received a call on my phone, the Chromecast stream would not be interrupted as it would like with AirPlay. Even after I left his house, my stream continued to play indefinitely whereas with AirPlay it'll end as soon as the main device leaves the network.

The Shaw Bluecurve TV app also only supports Chromecast and not AirPlay, and hockey would be one of the things I'd put on when out there. Sure, I could use the Sportsnet app, but the Shaw app is actually really good and lets me watch other stuff as well.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get a Chromecast for $39?

A bonus would be for me to be able to watch BBC content, which I currently do occasionally via a DNS/VPN service. Does Chromecast still bake in the Google DNS servers, or can these be customized?

My wife has an iPhone, my kids have iPads. They never ever use Apple TV and use the Chromecast every time. It's seamless and the remote is perfect for kids too young to type ad the voice search works great
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post: