View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I definitely vote based on the betterment of society or at least how I view the betterment of society (which obviously can differ from others).

Its interesting because I'm basically the complete the opposite of Locke in terms of reasoning. I don't think the government (especially in Canada) has much impact on the economy at all. As the world becomes more globally integrated - I just don't think much of anything we do in Canada is going to have a tremendous impact on the economy.

I also think this covid response and the economic reaction causes great doubt in that all these economic theories we've been taught are actually right. We've been spending like drunken sailors for 16 months now. Even if you believe today's inflation is not just related to supply chain/timing issues - I don't recall reading you can print money like mad for 14 months with no real impact to anything.

I'm also comfortable enough that the changes the government would actually make will have little impact on me. So climate stands at the top of the list for me, along with belief in science.
I don't want to get off topic, as this thread is doing well on that front, but you have to take things in context: yes, all else equal, you can't print money like drunken sailors for 14 months without creating inflation. However, due to Covid, the global engine had stalled, so revving the engine hasn't caused the over-heating it normally would. Going forward however, that spending is going to start having consequences, which is why there has been concern recently, and increased discussion about inflation.

Anyways, just wanted to comment on that, but I am not going to debate it any further in this thread.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote