View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #2131
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I work from home, or bike to the office. I walk my kid to school. I drive maybe 1500kms a year, and most of the that is accrued by family road trips. Considering the amount of energy it takes to build a new car, to source batteries (with questionable mining practises in places nobody thinks about), and that about half of electricity in Alberta is powered by coal... I feel just fine keeping and occasionally enjoying the living crap out of my gas-guzzler instead. If I had a long commute I might feel different (but knowing that cars are my vice, I'd probably still get something stupid and fun).
I hear you. I can go through the same thing on my end. My big thing is lack of air travel. That is murder on the environment and I basically live within a circle around Calgary extending to Lake Louise. Last flight was in 2019 to Whistler and my last flight before that was probably a few years prior. A ton of people fly to every vacation they take, which I think is nuts. Also live close to work. Also ride my bike to work a lot. Live in a smaller house. But still, at some point don't we have to just make all of the right environmental choices and not just pick and choose?

The collective effort will make the difference, but I'm currently looking at my TT V8 I drove into the office, so obviously I'm not on a high horse here. Just with the weird heat this summer and the forest fires (again), I figured maybe we were all reflecting a little more than usual on our own consumption.

Buuuuut, I don't fly all that much and I live in a relatively small house, so I'm leaning toward fata it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote