View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #582
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Electric vehicle war, is gas soon to be toast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Here's what you wrote:

So let's break it down.
1) No environmental nightmare. EVs are better for the environment, as global warming is the biggest problem it faces and EVs are better in any scenario. They also create less pollution, not more ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6041202031970X )

2) The use of regenerative braking leads to EVs contributing less large particle emissions than a comparable ICE vehicle ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...208?via%3Dihub )

3) At high speeds I can see vehicle weight playing a factor in collisions. The pedestrian example at low speeds? I'm not sure how that is relevant.

4) Even with pure coal electricity generation an EV is less polluting over it's life cycle than ICE

5) The tire thing is silly. Local air quality and it's health impacts are far better with EVs. Do EVs give off more tire dust? It looks like they do, albeit marginally. Remember, ICE gives off your dust too! That small increase though is waaaaaaaaay outweighed by the dozens of toxins in ICE exhaust. There are dozens of studies proving this. It's not even a question.

It's not green posturing. Ask yourself this: why is literally every government pushing for electric vehicle adoption???? Green posturing?

The reality IMO is that at full adoption EVs will have significant negative effects on the environment including depletion of scarce resources, disposal issues, impact of the mass scale electricity generation and transmission footprint. What it does do is mitigate the current climate crisis and kick the true underlying civilization sustainability issue down the road. We can continue to live our best lives with minimum inconvenience plus better 0-60 times!

Longer term, the survival of civilization will depend on moderating our resource consumption of all kinds. I’m not arguing against EV - they are a necessary improvement for the looming climate crisis but not by themselves a long term solution to overall sustainability.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote