View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #49
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There is no way the league couldn't do this.

Think about it like this;

The NHL consists of franchises...like lots of other businesses. They are all part and parcel of the same group.

Tim Hortons consists of franchises. Now you have your biggest and most profitable TH franchise coming out with a full page ad that severely questions the ability of the head office in the way they make decisions with regards to a product you sell. It would be immediate grounds for revocation of that franchise for the owners. Rightfully so when all the other franchises are affected by said questioning.

So many forget that the NHL is a business first. This is what any other large business would do in the same situation, if not worse. I think the Rangers are actually getting off pretty easy here in the whole scheme of things.

Dolan will recoup that 250K the next time the Knicks or Rangers host a home game.

I still love they did it mind you, but there was no other way the penalty for doing so wasn't happening.
But at the same time, the league risks hurting its credibility and reputation even further with its customers by looking so petty and foolish.

I get that a fine was pretty much going to happen and am sure the Rangers knew it when they made the statement. But I do think it continues to show the league is out of touch with its core fan base. There has been widespread frustration from core fans for a long time over player safety and discipline. This is only causing further erosion of trust between fans and the league. And for people like me that have had their viewing opportunities go down due to life circumstances, this could be the final straw that changes them from Center Ice subscriber to cable/network viewer; season ticket holder to partial season pack; loyal viewer to casual or not at all interested; etc.

The sad thing is they may actually be thinking like a business as most these days think of only short term quarterly profit over long term strategy. But for me, the better move is take your lumps from the Rangers and get a better handle on your disciplinary staff. Take your umps right nos and be better for the future.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post: