View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #1696
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There was such a small vocal part of our fanbase that has said this for the past 6 years but I would say much more of this forum would have ultimately sided with New Era over GranteedEV in the Bennett debate.

We watched the guy for 6 years and most did not see an elite player who was saddled with bad line mates. Most fans saw a guy who had spurts and flashes of being a top player but for the most part saw a player who tried to make junior moves, take bad penalties, and not finish his chances/plays dying on his stick.

I have always been a Bennett believer but his production in Florida is shocking to me and I do think it is short term. I think he has an even bigger chip on his shoulder than James Neal had when he went over to Edmonton that is helping fuel this run. I think Bennett has a career year next year but I would be surprised if he scored 70+ points. If he does I am happy for him.

I was always surprised they never tried a Bennett-Tkachuk duo who I thought were great compliments for one another and both players thrive when they are under the skin of their opponents.
They tried a lot a Tkachuk-Bennett a couple years ago. I was actually surprised when I looked and saw how much.

In answer to a bunch of other stuff - yes, it’s easy to say they could have traded Monahan and used Bennett, or played Bennett on the second line (instead of Backlund I guess). But that’s ignoring what was going on with those guys at the same time. Monahan has only dipped last year and this one, and Backlund has always been good. Coaches want to win, and developing guys, giving them room, isn;t exactly second nature.

The fact Fla is doing it is, still IMO, is because it’s natural to do it with a new guy. And it worked, like it sometimes does. It’s sort of what happened with Lindholm (when I’m sure he was acquired to be a centre). It’s not the first time, nor is it the last. It may last, it may not. What’s definite is that it wasn’t working here, there was going to be an issue at the expansion draft, and at the bargaining table, and he asked for a trade. So it’s still the best outcome that could be expected. The rest is in the past.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: