View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #42
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This is true, but almost all cup-winning goalies are drafted and developed by the team they're on:

2020: Vasilevsky
2019: Binnington
2018: Holtby
2017: Murray
2016: Murray
2015: Crawford
2014: Quick
2013: Crawford
2012: Quick
2011: Thomas (the team that drafted him no longer existed. Boston was the only team he had ever played for)

In fact, most of of the goalies get to the finals in general were drafted and developed by the team they're still on.
I don't think any free agent signed goalies, who play as starters, have won a cup in over 50 years.
If the Flames can't manage to both draft and develop a goalie, they're probably not going to win a cup.

They've drafted many goalies who looked promising out of the gate (Gillies, Parsons, even Irving). They've drafted goalies who have gone on to have careers (Anderson, McElhinney). Undrafted guys like Rittich and Roloson have been signed. McElhinney is probably the closest thing to being both drafted and developed, since he was with the organization for 8 years.

It seems like development is the problem. The prospects either falter or they leave the organization and become NHL goalies somewhere else.
I’ll give you all of those but Thomas because he was like 30 before he played in the NHL.

But, I disagree with your closing statement. Looking at this, and the other teams in the league, it seems like nailing this is a key to winning a cup. But the development ‘problem’ affects basically every other team in the league. It’s as much luck as it is skill.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote