View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #58
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
My wife’s company is working on some innovative technology for residential alternative energy combining solar, batteries, and other pieces in a scalable DIY solution. While solar costs have way down their research finds that the drivers are not cost savings but energy security and environmental concerns (particularly both if people don’t want generators). I was skeptical that people would invest in a system for backup given how infrequently we lose power, but apparently it’s a huge deal in the southern and western US due to storms, brownouts, etc. I guess also non-urban areas in Canada.

She asked if I could post a question here. Don’t worry, this isn’t a sales lead - they are still in the development stage.

Is there anything in your home/vacation property that would be inconvenient (or worse) to have it go without power for several hours or longer; without either knowing it or being able to do anything about it?

Fridge

Freezer

Fish tank

Pet heater

Sump pump

Pipe warmer in winter

Internet

Security lighting

Medical equipment

Being able to charge your phone or laptop (power does not always go out when these are fully charged)

Alarm clock (some still use these)

Access to news in an emergency (not everyone likes using a cell phone for this)

Other
Freezer - a couple months ago a breaker tripped on the deep freeze in the basement and the freezer stopped drawing power. I had to toss about $400 in meats etc in the freezer that sat for a few days at room temp

I keep meaning to get one of those temp sensors for the freezer
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote