View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #400
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm pretty sure he can't, or he'd be in the NHL already. Leivo's role is to play the physical game and retrieve pucks. His role is not to be pretty or make slick plays. His job is to get pucks to the skill players, make room, and wreak some havoc in front of the net. I don't see a 5'7, 150 pound player doing that.

As timbit has pointed out, the jump from the AHL to the NHL is quite significant. When you're getting a chance to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL its because you are the best player on your team. But you are making the jump to a league where every player was the best player on their team. You are now competing against guys that are all as good or better than you, and all of them are bigger and faster than anyone you've played against. So the advantage you have at the one level does not automatically translate to the next. You may be able to water bug it at the AHL level, but that does not mean it will translate the NHL level.

It's an interesting mix, but I honestly believe that second line gets its head caved in. Seriously, who retrieves pucks in that scenario? You want to stop that line dead in its tracks, trap at the blueline and make them dump and chase. Monahan then has to win the puck battles and you take away his greatest strength of being a sniper. You just can't play two guys that small together in the NHL as they will get neutralized by size. They'll spend the whole game without or chasing the puck, or blowing snow just inside the blueline. If Phillips is the answer, then the question is who do you call up after you trade away Gaudreau?
That's not really fair because training camp was highly abbreviated this year, so rookies never really had a shot to make the club and we had a bunch of fresh new UFA borderline NHLers to test out
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote