View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #103
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
I'm not getting your point. You've established that he's small, but what is the implication of that? Is it that he's so small that they shouldn't even give him a chance?

If he proves doubters such as yourself then great. The team has another good player. Overall make up of the team too small? Not a problem, trade some of that small skill for more size up front.

Can't play? Too bad, I guess give Ritchie another shot. Is there a downside that I'm missing?
Philips is a very skilled offensive guy...no question.

So. knowing this, that requires he play an offensive role in the top 6, if not the top 3.

So where do you put him in?

There is zero chance you can plug him on the right side of 13/23, they need puck/board battling guys with size there (that also have a flair for scoring) as it is with JG unable to play that role that would waste his talents doing so.

So that leaves one option...on the right with 19/28, but that also now takes ice and demotes Mangiapane. Does that make any sense? Why should 88 take a hit? Has he not done everything the team has asked?

I know....lets play him on line 3 then....right? Great big guys when Bennett is C and Lucic on the left. OK...that now means Dube on line 1 (hasnt worked) or Dube on the 4th line which is a complete waste of what his talents provide. Nevermind the likely horrible fit that the Bennett/Lucic tandem would provide for Phillips game.

Bottom line is a guy that small has to have a certain size and skillset with him to provide him the best opportunity to succeed. There is just not a fit for him at this point as long as 13, 88, 29 are all on the roster.

Now if JG gets dealt this off-season as many suspect will happen, then yes MP will have a spot open up for him to try and earn. Right now though, he just isn't a fit. He is a smaller version of Tyler Ennis....would he be someone that would make a difference for the Flames?

The average NHL player is what....190 lbs? This guy, even if he has bulked up to 155....is giving away 35 lbs to every guy on every shift during every game on average. How effective will that be in contributing to linemates? Puck battles? I mean we watch JG get pushed off pucks and give them up literally 10 times a game as it is.

I like MP's game...a lot actually and I hope at some point he gets a shot. However if it isnt in the right spot with the right mix of guys, there is zero chance it will work. The NHL graveyard is littered with small uber offensive guys for a reason.