View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #5500
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Monahan+1st for Dubois is probably what the deal would look like and would be a fair deal. And honestly that still feels like the Flames are giving away a really good asset for what might not actually be an upgrade on the ice.

That also doesn't consider that Dubois is the one that asked for a trade (generally reduces value), and doesn't seem to like playing in a more defensive system under Torts in Columbus. People focus on the one really good playoff game but Trots and Dubois didn't seem to see eye to eye about defensive responsibilities all year last year.

Honestly if Columbus is looking to make a trade I don't see a center available on the market that would be better than Monahan who also has a comparable cap hit.
There's no way I'd do Monahan + a First, especially now, leading into a shortened season.
You can't risk the chemistry Monahan has with the other forwards, and hope Dubois comes in, and immediately fits in as well or better.
Not to mention the quarantine issue, we could be without a 1C for the first few games.
If this is a move that could be done, it needs to be in the off season, when the Flames know their first rounder is in the 20-26 range, and there's a full offseason for Dubois to get reps in with the wingers. Even then, I'd be hesitant.