View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
No, that is not how my system works. My power generation consumption is on a monthly basis and not as I use the power basis. Though Enmax does seem to be able to track that.

If I am pulling from the grid, my meter runs forward, and the KWH count ticks up. If I am providing power to the grid my power usage goes into the negative and the KWH count ticks down.

At the end of the month, my last month's power is calculated based on the amount I used from the last month. The non-fixed price costs use the total power consumed over the month. So if during peak generation hours I generate more than I use (which can happen), it discounts my power usage from non-peak generation hours.

I have generated more power than I was using, and have confirmed this. I also seem to get some sort of discounts every month (not much a couple of bucks) for having solar. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

As for producing more than I generate, this will probably never happen with my case; however, I was told that you would be paid at the current wholesale rate. I will never reach that point without some major improvements in solar technology due to my home lab and hydroponics.
They are supposed to install a bi-directional meter. That way you pay for the power you use (power + variable distribution) and get paid for the power you sell (power).

You aren't allowed to just run the meter backwards in Alberta, although that would be a big benefit to having your own system.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: