View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #3363
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
So I ended up ripping off the face plate of the thermostat and it looks like I have an L1 as below. So it sounds like I'm out of luck for Ecobee and Nest? Any recommendations for a smarter thermostat?

http://imgur.com/gallery/4Fi2FrC
I don't think that's an L1, I think it's just an L. Each of the terminals is numbered 1-12 and L just happens to be in the #1 position. L1 is normally for high voltage systems (110-220V) but your thermostat says 24V on it.

That said, that wiring doesn't look like it follows the standard labeling for run of the mill HVAC wiring, so you might need to do some digging to see if it'll work. And the 3 wire controlled fan speed is probably going to be an issue. I don't think Nest or Ecobee can control that through multiple wires, though you could always just pick a preferred fan speed and wire that one in.

Just guessing based on the labeling, but the wires might break down as: L is for an indicator light, N is the power source (so similar to a C wire), NC sends power from N to call for cooling, NH sends power from N to call for heating, and L, M, and H on the right call for low, medium, and high fan speeds. So it might work with Ecobee/Nest; it could just be a matter of connecting the N wire to the C terminal, the NC to Rc, the NH to Rh, and your preferred fan speed to the G terminal. But that's just a wild guess; you'd really need to look into it more or have an HVAC pro check it out before doing anything. If anything in the system is non-standard, it might not work with normal smart thermostats.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: