View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #4818
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
What kind of a season are people expecting from Sam Bennett in order for the flames to expose Backlund? 40 points? 50? What are the chances of that happening? Even if he hits career highs with a 40 point season, I bet that would come against competition no where near the quality Backlund faces and has faced for the better part of his career.

Bennett would have to put together a pretty resounding case for his protection over any Backlund, Mangiapane, or Dube at this point. I would bet replacing a third line winger/potential center will be an easier task than a 2C, regardless of age.
A season where you see Bennett play a game that is somewhat similar to the playoff version. Confident, relentless, mean.

Backlund takes a step back, Bennett takes a step forward and looking at a guy who will be 25 vs a guy who will be turning 33 during the season after expansion.

I think Bennett needs a significant step forward and Backlund needs to take a bit of a step back in order to have Bennett get the protection slot. Cap flexibility could play into things a little bit