View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #1297
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm not as confident with individual stocks, so I tend to play sectors. TQQQ (A 3x Tech ETF) was my biggest gainer in 2020 (followed by URTY, UMDD, and GBTC). Probably gained around 250%, although I sold a bit on the way up. I know many people dislike leverages funds, but Tech seemed like a no-brainer at the time, so it made sense to leverage. Re-balancing a good chunk of my portfolio into it really helped to erase the deep loses from March. Individually, AC, UUUU, CNQ, and TEX have been good to me.

Biggest dogs so far have been individual stocks. WRAP (-40%) and FLDM (-35%, which at one point was at +70%, but I wasn't smart enough to cash out during the hype). I also leaned a bit too hard into Gold/Silver a few months ago so I'm down on those at the moment, although I still think longer term they are still good plays).

Moving forward into 2021 and beyond, I've shifted a good chunk into Energy (both traditional which I think is really undervalued, and renewable which I think will get a lot of political/social support), Uranium (go Nuclear!), Marijuana, Bitcoin, and REITs. I'm also trying to diversify more from North America...ie. Russia (RUSX), Japan, Africa (FAH).
FAH is an interesting play. They are merging with Helios, an African focused investment manager. So they will end up having exposure to the asset management business, which is a good one. That said, they are trading at a big discount, and its hard to know whether they got a fair price from Helios. I'd be pleased to have it away from Fairfax - I'm not a huge fan of their ethics after having owned FIH.U (their India vehicle) for awhile.

If you're doing leveraged ETFs for a long term hold (and it this case that means longer than a day or maybe two), it might make sense to investigate call options on the underlying instead. Ie, in the money call options on QQQ would get you similar leverage, but without the path dependence issue that can badly hurt the long term returns of the leveraged etfs. Not advice, but something that might be worth looking into if that's exposure you're looking for. I personally wouldn't want leveraged tech exposure now, but I felt that way in the past and was wrong then...

Last edited by bizaro86; 12-11-2020 at 09:40 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: