View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #97
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
If the NHL signed off on this agreement based on their expectation of a best possible outcome then why would they deserve a mulligan? That’s a terrible way to run any business, let alone a major pro sport league.
It'll come down to contract details, but presumably SPC's are structured around 82 game seasons with some language related to shortened seasons/proration - but I would venture that language isn't water-tight.

The league's argument is simple: the deal signed was based on 82 game reg season. If the players insist that season length has no bearing on compensation, then they better be prepared for 90 game seasons.

Quote:
Facts have no bias. The players are obligated to pay the elevated escrow and to take the salary cuts they agreed to regardless of what happens. Not sure what you’re basing your argument of that not being the case on.
Citation needed. Everything I've seen frames those figures as escrow caps/limits. Once both parties are made whole, there is no reason to believe that escrow wouldn't be returned to the players to maintain 50/50.

Quote:
How do you think I’m confusing revenue sharing with escrow?

The players understand escrow, their opposition to it is that it can result in them not receiving the full value of the contract they signed if revenues fall short. Which strongly suggests they don’t want their salaries directly tied to revenues.

This narrative you and Locke keep trying push that the players wanted to be 50/50 partners with the league and to have their salaries linked to revenues simply isn’t supported by the facts. If that’s what the players really wanted they would have never gotten a 57% share of the revenue in the CBA after the first lockout. I think we can all agree that the league would have preferred to have and agreed to have a 50/50 split at that time.
Then they don't understand what the full value of their contract is. In reality, every contract is signed for a percentage of a percentage of TBD totals (HRR and total player salary allocation).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: