View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #187
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
I’ll say this much:

I got laid off in March. I have not been looking for a job. Wife and I decided to move, so we bought a house in a different city (paid cash, previously only rented for our adult lives).

I haven’t been contributing to any investments since last November, when word of approaching layoffs began.

But I track my net worth every 15 days, and from EOY 2019 to today, my investment balance is up about 2.9% and total net worth (not counting the house, so just investments plus cash) is only off by about $60k, primarily due to the house purchase.

I have been extremely lucky. I got a decent severance which helped to pay for the house, or at least made the purchase price easier to accept. And I have always saved at least 50% of my net when I was working.

My investments are a simple 3 fund Boglehead type portfolio: 50% total us stock market, 10% total international stock market, and 50% bonds. I do not intend to ever sell, except to tax loss harvest, but I’m always invested according to my asset allocation. Going forward, I hope to live off of dividends and interest payments. I guess I’ll see how that plan ends up going....
Your planning and discipline has served you well. Well done.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post: