View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #597
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just changed the cabin air filter in my CLS550. What a PITA that was. $150 is practically a bargain to not have to do those gymnastics. Unbelievable - taking off torx screws, popping of plastic trim, peeling back carpet...and all under the dash where there is no room to work. You have to be kidding me. Every other car I've done it's the easiest thing ever and usually accessed just through the glove box. If it's anything like mine, he may actually have thought he was doing you a favour hah.
Haha, while it wasn't totally straight forward, I think it took me 20 minutes or less when I did it myself.

The starter on that car (E46 325 xit), however.... I think they charge 8 hours of shop time, which I thought was nuts, so I'd do it myself. The official method is to either drop the transmission, or remove the intake manifold to gain access. I decided to work blindly and sacrifice my hands to the meat grinder instead. I think I wound up at 6 or 7 hours to undo and redo 3 bolts, and enough of my hands ground off to provide 2 servings of hamburger helper for family dinner that night.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: