View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #8177
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
Point should be a Flame. Friend of mine knows the family well. He wanted to play here, did very well at the top prospects game played in Calgary that year and had great skill and hockey sense. Stars were aligned. Then truculence happened and we draft Hunter Smith. I was genuinely mad about that. Feel like Tre would have went for Point based on recent history.
I feel there is a sense that the Flames particularly whiffed on Point because he is from Calgary. And perhaps there is some truth to that - but I don't know if I agree that it actually is a factor.
He was playing in a league (WHL) and for a team (MooseJaw) that is very well scouted. The entire NHL, including the Bolts, who drafted Jonathan MacLeod ahead of him in the 2nd - missed on Point.

I agree though that the organization now seems to value skill and upside over size and toughness - and that based on that philosophy it is more likely that Point would have been a pick for them.

But then again, I think the entire NHL has evolved in this way. If a Point type of player was a available now - I think he goes in the 1st round.

Credit to the Bolts though - they are where they are because of great drafting (Point, Kucherov, Palat), great trades (Drouin for Sergachev) and just great management overall.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: