View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #269
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't get it. Tesla has demand that far outpaces their ability to build factories and cars fast enough.

How can you say that the legacy makers looked at EVs and decided it was not the time?

Fact is they screwed up on it and Tesla is years ahead. Something most people agree with.

I'm also not sure why you think Tesla is going to run into an issue down the road either. Sure, other auto-makers are going to come out with their version of the EV, but some of them won't. Some of them will die off because they can't retool their factories, nor raise the capital to build new factories. Tesla is effectively funding their business with their stock price. Just a couple weeks ago they raised $5 billion in cash from a stock sale, something the other car markers can't do.

The other thing that is happening which you completely refuse to acknowledge is how much battery production is NEEDED to meet market demand, and how much of that Tesla is at this point producing. I just don't see where other car makers are going to turn a switch and fund a $10 billion dollar battery production plant and do what Tesla does in a time frame quick enough to catch up. I just don't.
That's an opinion that they screwed up, I laid out reasons why they may have been waiting for the right opportunity. What are the odds that every auto manufacturer on the planet got caught with their pants down? I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just how I see it. We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

It's not like Tesla is raking money in hand over fist, Elon acknowledged it is really really hard, and only recently have they had any profit at all. Why would someone like GM or Ford or VW dive into an unprofitable segment 5 years early, when they can wait for the right timing to do it?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: