View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Potential Gaudreau trades: Rest of Eastern Conference Post#253

This thread is an in-depth look at a possible Gaudreau trade and nothing else. This thread is not for quick suggestions or debate about whether he should be traded or not. In this thread that is taken as a given. I am in the “trade him” camp but I can make a case for keeping him. However not here. This thread is for Gaudreau trades and their follow on ramifications only.

This thread expects you to make a realistic trade that takes into account all the considerations that both GMs will be making. In short this thread has rules and assumptions.

Assumptions:

1. Gaudreau will be traded this offseason, probably before or at the draft.
2. The salary cap will not go up, or will only rise slightly in the next 3 years.

Rules.
You need to consider, and possibly spell out, the implications for both (all?) teams involved of your trade proposal in the areas of:

1. Current and future cap space. Especially two years from now when the receiving team needs to try to re-sign Johnny. If you don’t expect them to try and re-sign him then state this.
2. Number of contract spaces available, Some people imagine a big haul coming to the Flames without considering this
3. The upcoming expansion draft. Getting back several roster players is very tempting but it definitely complicates the protection list
4. Team building. Who will play with who, who plays RW, who kills penalties etc
5. Playoff and Cup windows. For example perhaps New Jersey makes a lot of sense but is this the right time for them to get Johnny? Sure didn’t work out for them this year and Hall and Subban.
6. Prospect advancement. Does your trade make sense in terms of up and coming players like Pelletier, Valimaki, Pettersson, Wolf and Zavogrodniy or are you going to trade for Amontes and Nolans every trade deadline?

Basically I am asking you to make the trade from the perspective of both GMs. The capfriendly Armchair GM is helpful in this. Do the trade from both ends to see how it looks.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm

And the final (and important) rule of this thread. I am controlling who you trade with.

I am going to ask for your trades with particular teams and want you to make your best deal. Sometimes it will be one team (ie we are going to start with the obvious, Philadelphia) and sometimes it will be with a group of teams in which you consider the options and submit your best trade.

First call for submissions will be up in a couple of minutes followed shortly by my submission.

Last edited by N26; 09-16-2020 at 08:11 PM.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post: