View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #2929
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I see now that you said 2013 in your original post so I shouldn't have asked about build date. That age definitely makes a difference in my perspective. If you said 1940 and it was a partially developed space I could see there's probably a lot of potential for unknown issues. 2013 though, you should be at a good starting point.

Bringing the cold air return down to floor level will be one step. Certainly heat registers brought down to a low level in interior walls is a great idea, but plenty of homes without that done aren't freezing.

If you can, pull back a bit of the poly/insulation. Is there a 1/2" - 1" air space between the foundation and the framing? This helps with thermal bridging between the foundation and the wall studs. Is there poly behind the wall up to grade? This keeps moisture transferred through the concrete from destroying the Rvalue of the batts.

When are you planning on finishing out the area? If it's not for a while, doing some simpler things in stages would allow you to monitor what actually improves things over the coming winter.

If you're ambitious and want to go all out as it's a space you'll use a lot in the future, then before you finish would be the time to improve the insulation. You can replace the batts with a higher R value batt if you wanted to go one more step but not all the way to Quik Therm, but compare the costs.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

I gave Quik Therm a call and their prices are quite reasonable for those who may look - Less than $1 sqft for the floor covering. And 1" added to the walls is about the same price so I may do that anyway.

I'll definitely peak into the walls as you said and see what is going on behind them. We are not going to develop all the space at once, but at least do a bedroom. I'll drop the heat run from the ceiling as its right next to the window and see about running the col air to the floor as opposed o the ceiling where they are located.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote