View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #47
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
I would like to take Mrs. JBR for a wine tour in BC for her birthday in August. I’m not a frequent wine drinker or aficionado by any means.

Looking for recommendations... Kelowna vs. Victoria. Specific tours or wineries. Somewhere we can also get a hike or two in over the weekend.

Thanks.
Squiggs96 has a lot of good recommendations in his post that I would agree with, but the truth is you can't really make appropriate recommendations for an individual without knowing what your preferences are and what you're looking to get out of the wine tour experience.

I've been a lover of wine for a long time. I spent time getting my wine certs, worked as a wine editor for a huge wine media company and distributor doing blind tastings every week, judging wines in competitions and travelling for blind tasting tests etc. There is a tonne you can learn about wine that deepens the experience and changes the nature of enjoying wine and winery service, but that's most often not the right vantage point to give advice to the casual drinker from. There's a also a lot of bs in the wine world, and it's not worth taking that seriously when in reality it's just another consumer beverage and nobody is wrong for enjoying whatever it is they like to drink.

There's nothing wrong with going on a wine tour where you want the most instagramable venues, or the most entertaining experience even if the wines aren't what experts would advise you on.

So, rather than listening to advice on places to get good wine, experiences of which will vary totally depending upon individual tastes, you should just describe what your ideal wine tour experience and weekend trip is made up of, excluding the wine itself, and get advice based on that.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: