View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #2054
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
It matters because they voluntarily chose to make a very public commitment to give 99% of their wealth away, and Bill's personal reputation was rehabilitated from being seen as a ruthless monopolist who acquired his fortune through shady business practices to the world's most influential philanthropist specifically because of that public commitment. I have absolutely no reason to think Bill and Melinda Gates are being deceptive and are secretly planning to renege on their donation pledge, but if they did, would you not have a problem with their public image benefiting from a promise they had no intention of keeping?
It would bother me if they lied to get what they want, because it would poison the well so to speak for other philanthropists whom may make similar gestures and proclamations, but they're not legally bound to give away the money. In the end of the day, what is there's they can chose to do with, and are fully within their rights in doing it. Which is why I asked the question, but I see your point in why it would be an issue.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote