View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #175
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Do I.... do I buy a PS4 to play this game?
Like, as an avid lover of the original am I going to be angry? I am so close to just falling over and caving for this game and only this game, but hearing this is the only thing giving me pause.
I don't think it's worth buying a PS4 for regardless of whether you end up being angry with what they did, or not. It's a perfectly competent re-make, leaving aside the stuff that annoyed me. It's actually very faithful to the original, except that Sephiroth was more explicit. As I mentioned in an earlier post, while I didn't really agree with the changes (having most of Midgar be about your insurrection against the corporate overlords, only to be thrown a total curveball at the end when the President is suddenly dead and you have a new, different enemy that was barely hinted at was really effective storytelling) I could accept them all.

The problem is, even if you aren't pissed off by what they did at the end (and I'm still annoyed days later), it's just an okay effort, overall. The writing is very stilted and most NPCs don't seem like actual human beings. There are some additional missions that add some flavour to some of the characters, but there was a real missed opportunity to do more of it with the sidequests, which are mostly just padding. Seriously, looking for lost cats and tracking down orphans who are late for class has no actual substance and really adds nothing to the universe. The parts that are extended - the Hojo's Lab bit is way, way longer - doesn't really give you any new insight into Hojo. It just takes a while and involves fighting some monsters. And while combat is incredibly well conceived (after giving it a bit, I'm more impressed in retrospect at how well they managed to blend old-school FF turn-based combat and the current button-mash style), it is a bit chaotic and frustrating at times - while I understand that this would never happen in the current gaming market, I couldn't help thinking "this game would be absolutely amazing if it was just fully turn-based like the original".

It is, by modern standards, just... not outstanding. A lot of its virtue is the nostalgia. That's part of why I'm so annoyed that they've decided to change the course of the story. As a 1997 game with re-booted graphics you can forgive its flaws and quirks. As a new game with a new storyline, those flaws stand out a lot more, and you end up having to ask, if they were going to change a bunch of #### anyway, why not modernize the dumbest, campiest parts, and make the characters more like real people?

And as a result, even if you do end up enjoying it and subscribing to Yen Man's view of the world, I wouldn't shell out for the system for it.
Quote:
Edit - For the record, I will also buy Fallen Order and Spider-Man if I do this, but those games aren't why I want the PS4. I will live if I never play those games.
Spider-Man, yes, Fallen Order, no. Horizon Zero Dawn, heck yes. Nier Automata, yes but prepare for an odd sort of experience. I'm assuming you've already played Witcher 3.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote