View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 12:06 AM   #169
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just finished. I could go on at length about what I think about the writing, the combat system, the voice acting, the graphics, and so on. But really, all I can think is this.

Did anyone ask for this? Was anyone who was a likely consumer of this product thinking, "gee, I hope they don't ACTUALLY re-make the game, it'd sure be boring to re-play one of the most beloved games ever made, despite the fact that so many people have re-played it multiple times in its ORIGINAL form"?

It was so easy... just... re-make the game. Voice acting, modern graphics and gameplay, fill out the story in a couple of places to add more depth and smooth out some of the confusing bits. That's all you had to do. Nothing more. I don't want an "unknown journey", as they put it at the end. I don't want an alternate universe where the events all play out differently, as we're apparently about to receive. The whole last chapter of the game I was just... depressed. I don't even know if I want to continue playing this when the next chapter comes out. Realistically I probably will, because it's still set in the same universe, but... for ####'s sake. I'm not looking forward to it the same way I was before. When they announced this, I said I'd buy it even if they made the thing cost more than the system it plays on. But this isn't what I wanted. I can't imagine this is what anyone wanted.

The addition of the "whispers", as the game was going on, I was like, "okay, you didn't need to add more weird #### to this, the story is weird enough", but I thought, eh, I can deal. The added stuff like the mission for Jessie and the stuff with Leslie, all good, expanding the story a bit worked pretty well. The Madam M, Andrea stuff was pretty stupid, but I could forgive it. But one it started becoming clear what they were doing with the Whispers... well, here is a video of my reaction.

In short, on its own merits, it was a pretty enjoyable game with some flaws. In context, finishing it just sucked the joy out of my day.

Fortunately I now have The Last of Us 2 to play through. Surely they can't have screwed that up, right?

... Right?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote