View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #3015
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm probably going to be fighting with this later on. My wife is Vietnamese and we have 2 young daughters, and the discussion about them dating in high school has already come up. She flat out said she doesn't want them dating black guys, which threw me back quite a bit when it first came up. She isn't super racist, has black friends, blah blah blah, but there is some deep cultural #### in Asian families about dating/marrying anyone with dark skin. It irritates the hell out of me and if/when it comes down to it I will side with my daughters 100% on who they want to see and will fight that battle for them, but that's not for another 15 years or so, so hopefully I can undo some of those deep set prejudices
Personal experience from me. I'm Chinese and my father, who is in his 70s has also voiced similar things throughout my childhood. My mother would never agree, but also never voiced her disagreement. Well, I'm grown up now and my last girlfriend is Haitian Canadian. I've dated girls before of African ancestry before but nothing as serious as the recent one which prompted me to tell my parents about the gf. To my surprise, when I informed my dad of my girlfriend's ancestry, he was happy for me. I told him what a relief it was and I was worried he'd be upset with me, which in turn made him sad. He said he just wants me to be happy with whoever that is and owned up to how he shouldn't have said those things. In the end, most parents just want their kids to be happy and your wife will hopefully feel the same way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: