View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #2445
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
The thing is, the Trails series spans so many games (3 Trials in the Sky, 2 Trails of Azure, and 4 Trails of Cold Steel), they introduce A LOT of characters and plot points. It can get pretty overwhelming, especially with so many loose ends that get tied up in subsequent games only to introduce even more loose ends.
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm here for, even though I'm resigned to the inevitable reality that some of them are going to be less well executed than others. I'm like 10 hours into Trails SC, and I'm actually really liking the "evolution" voice acting, it's kind of like watching a subbed anime. The extent of the voice acting remains impressive, it's basically every interaction that has any plot importance plus all interactions with important NPCs.
Quote:
Overall, the store is pretty epic in that it spans multiple locations across the continent. The dialogue does get pretty cheesy (especially in Trials of Cold Steel, when they introduce the "high school is the greatest! everything after that is pretty much downhill" anime trope), so you get a lot of cheese. But as an anime fan, I'm pretty used to it.
Hm. I'm not finding the first game and a bit to be very cheesy, outside of Estelle, and even she isn't that terrible. Just cliche a lot of the time. As you say, kind of "anime cheesy", and even that is blunted by the lighthearted tone of the games so far. I've seen far, far worse in video games... hell, most FF writing is a lot cheesier than this, while taking itself far more seriously. But I suppose I will see in a few hundred game-hours when I get to the Cold Steel games.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote