View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #39
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I disagree, the season was pretty much a write off due to covid. Airshows have been cancelling everywhere, however the team still has the budget and hours to burn so this was a great way to use them up and keep the pilots proficient.

The planes are old but are still maintained to a high standard.

Flame out (speculating, I heard a pop in one video) on take off is about the worst situation you could have but they would have been flying back home regardless so I don't think you can blame the goodwill tour. For all we know they took a bird and it had nothing to do with the aircraft.

My facebook had been littered with posts about this tour and people were genuinely excited and proud of it. It's devastating that today that excitement has shifted to sympathy posts. I didn't know Jenn personally but have many friends who knew her well. Very sad day, RIP.

Also keep in mind to those that simply jump on the CT-114 dues to it's age, the Snowbird fleet and spares are fairly low time airframes with a modest amount of cycles that are maintained to the highest standards, they are very far from being timed out. The J-85 engine is still in production today by GE as well. There is also a level of pride seeing the Tutor is a Canadian designed and built aircraft. This airframe allows the Snowbirds to perform the many maneuvers they do due to its slow speed handling capabilities and its aerobatic prowess. You don't get that with F-16's/18's if you've had the opportunity to see the Thunderbirds or BA's perform.

This was an unfortunate tragedy which has also claimed many other lives/aircraft through the course of aviation history. Engine failure after departure in a single engine aircraft at low altitude is never a good thing. The Pilot did a tremendous job recovering from the spin, he just ran out of altitude.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post: