View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #2690
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It doesn't seem like a logical place for a flagpole or clothesline tree.

Fuzz's guess of something to do with a foundational draining system seems to make sense, the size of the hole doesn't make sense to me. It's definitely big enough for a 3-5 year old kid to fall into. I said 5" x 5" earlier, but I am looking at a ruler right now and it seems too small. It might be closer to 7-8" x 7-8". I'll confirm what's going on with pics and use a measuring tape to confirm the size of this thing.

Assuming the this hole does have to do with drainage, is filling it with stuff a bad idea? Should I be trying to look into putting something else in there that allows for air flow that I can remove when needed? The reason I was thinking of dropping a full on 8' post into the hole is so that I could remove the post if needed while making it far less likely a kid could fall inside.
This sounds like foundation drainage to me.

I wouldn’t put anything in it, but some kind of cover on top should be no issue.

Foundation drains are to keep the soil above the bottom of the foundation from getting saturated with water, as it will soak through the foundation wall if there’s any inadequacies in the waterproofing. The empty space forces water to fall down quickly to the foundation drainage / sump pit.