View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #2681
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is it right next to the house? Does it look like a downspout may have gone into it at one point? Could be the french drain, with rocks at the bottom like that. Is it lined with PVC or something or just a dirt hole?
- Hole is like 12-18 inches or so away from the house... in the middle of concrete beside a concrete side path.
- Doesn't seem like it ever had a downspout in it.
- Rocks at the bottom. I don't recall seeing any dirt, but I can double check later.
- Not PVC lined for sure, but I think I remember the sides were wood cross beams or something. Not sure how far down the wood goes and if there's any exposed dirt. There's also screws sticking out of the wood near the top. I'll check later tonight when I get home and take a pic.

The hole is 6-8 feet deep though. Aren't french drains near the surface? Not to mention, do homes built in the 80s even require holes like this for draining? I wondered if it had to do with a fire place that is nearby, but it's like 3-4 feet away from the fire place so it makes no sense. It almost seems like a rough out of some sort, but I have no idea what it could be for.

EDIT: Could it possibly be some type of an air intake "vent" or something for a drain tile or weeping tile system? I was chatting with the neighbor and they said the previous owner put that in at his own cost to prevent water seeping inside the house because it wasn't code for the houses built in community because the community was on a hill or something and houses were flooding. Would this make sense?

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-12-2020 at 02:19 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote