View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #1255
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Lets be clear - any type of smoking takes loads more time and effort than a gas BBQ. The biggest source of time? Cleanup on a smoker. On a gasseer I crank the burners and incinerate everything. Not the same in a smoker - get ready to hand wash a lot of racks and grease pits.

That said, I really do think the Weber Smokey Mountain is your best entry point in for a smoker. Used, an 18.5" can be had for about $200. It's indestructible (no finicky electronics) and holds temps well. Charcoal is readily available. Pro's have used these in competition. Pair this with a good gasser and you can do 90% of what you see on YouTube.

Smokers are the glam girl in the BBQ world right now but your average consumer doesn't have the time or effort for one. I predict a lot of kamados and smokers on the used market in a year or two.
Fair comments. I've been interested in the Kamado style even before the pandemic. It just seems like i know for sure I want one now that I am not eating out as often and pushing the limits of my experimentation. I am interested in tinkering around with combining different cooking methods.

Using the sous vide to do multi day cooks for special gatherings has been a thing I've enjoyed a ton. Having the option of finishing on the grill/oven/air fryer/stove has been fun. A multi day sous vide plus a few hours slow finish via charcoal or smoking for a summer get together is something I am most curious in exploring as it seems like it would be some next level awesome or disgusting or something.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote