View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #940
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I've been to Big Cat Rescue in Tampa. Did not see Carole Baskin. The coloured shirt system just separates volunteers into the categories of cats they're allowed to handle; 600 lb tigers require more training to be around as they'll kill you a lot quicker than little savannah cats which are also on property. It's not a cult. Cages are deceiving large.

Bottom line, the entire Tiger King series was sensationalized garbage for the purpose of entertainment. Can't speak to Carole killing her husband, who knows... from my perspective the only thing that matters out of all of this is the plight of the cats, and they're doing just fine at BCR. It's funny how everybody pretends to all of a sudden be big cat experts having not ever heard of BCR or Joe Exotic prior to this series. By the end of the year, it'll go right back to nobody caring.

Just sucks that all anybody is talking about is Carole Baskin killing her husband, and not the fact that there are more captive tigers in the US than there are in the wild which is f'ing ridiculous.
Well...true. To a certain degree. The Documentary veered off course from the Tigers pretty quickly, but I think that says more about the legislation that apparently any old idiot can get their hands on a Tiger and other exotic animals and just call themselves a Zoo.

Not going to delve into "I went to a Zoo and the animals were fine!" Because thats a whole other Gordian knot of issues.

The fact is....maybe Private Zoos in general are a bad idea? I didnt realize this was such a widespread phenomenon.

Ultimately 'Exotic Pets' in general is a touchy subject because the general public at large shouldnt be responsible for the health and care of animals that need a fairly serious amount of care and responsibility.

Sure, you can argue the sensationalism for the sake of entertainment but I wouldnt let anyone on that show look after my dog for a weekend let alone be in charge of a collection of highly specialized animals.

Really...it didnt seem that any of them had any training or specialty with regards to the animals they owned. None of them.

So again, say what you will but one could also argue that the real exposition here was how easy it is for a bunch of meth'd up lunatics to get their hands on endangered and exotic animals without any real semblance of oversight or real regulation.

Carol might, and that is a huge 'maybe' but might have been the 'least worst' of all those exposed on that show, but thats hardly a glorious commendation and a real indictment of the system that has been allowed to thrive.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: