View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #126
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Peters would most definitely have coached in the NHL post Flames if it wasn't for his racist history, so that doesn't count. Ward could certainly be on his way to becoming a regular NHL coach - his stint as interim of the Flames has gone well, it wouldn't surprise me to see him as an HC either when the season resumes or at some point in the future... GG? Possibly when the wheels fall off in Edmonton, but I don't know if that counts.
I wouldn't say Mr. One Playoff Win was guaranteed anything, racist background or not. Ordinary at best every year except one year in the nhl where he coached a 107 point team to getting annihilated by the 8th seed. No success at all in his career except in 2008 when he won the whl. Other than that what has he done to guarantee future employment? His career coaching record at all levels is the definition of mediocre outside of 2008

Ward is 58 years old and has been an nhl coach for 70 games and won at a .564 p%, though that includes the first bit of the season where Peters was still in charge actually sorry, hockey db had the wrong stat and I don't feel like digging any more. Regardless, unless the flames say he is their guy, I'm comfortable saying he's a career assistant type that hasn't been HC at any level since 2007. Probably not a bright future here.

Gully is the worst of the three and already burned through two chances at the nhl level at 48. He was a star in the echl but hasn't done anything of note since 2010 when he went to the AHL finals with Dallas's farm team which was actually pretty impressive given the roster. He coached both Dallas and Calgary to terrible results, I would say he made both teams worse than what they were on paper. He was lucky the 2017 flames managed that 10 game winning streak because without it, he's still a playoff virgin. That 10 game streak was a total anomaly too given the team finished 8 games over .500

Honestly think all three are toast at the nhl level. Peters exit was unique but in a results oriented industry, he just never really delivered at any level. 2019's regular season success was pretty well cancelled out by the massive playoff disappointment that season imo, where the flames played as bad as I've ever seen them in the playoffs and that's saying something. 5 games is a small sample but they were thoroughly embarrassed in 5 games after playing like garbage for 2.5 splid months leading up to the playoffs. I would argue his resume is actually pretty inferior to even Gulutzan who is probably considered a bottom 5 coach in flames history by our fans. I know hockey canada liked him but they also liked Bob Nicholson, one of the emptiest suits around.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 04-08-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote