View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #93
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Would the original FF7 still hold up today for someone who hasn't played it? I look at the graphics and I'm not sure if I can look past them and still enjoy the game.
With the ReMako mod (PC version), the prerendered backdrops look gorgeous in HD. There's also a character model mod that updates that part of the game. So while it won't look like a game from 2020, it won't look like one from 1997 either.

The gameplay is still solid. It has random encounters but they're sparse enough that it doesn't detract from gameplay (unlike, for instance, Xenogears or Skies of Arcadia which are unplayable these days). The sidequests are still fun and harken back to a day before you had quest lists to tell you to go kill ten of x monster or fetch five of y flower. Instead they're fun side-adventures. There isn't much by way of puzzles or plot-altering decisions but it's got a solid pacing overall (although it doesn't hold up to the Gold Standard of the genre that is Chrono Trigger)

The story is still awesome, especially if you've never stumbled across the various plot twists. It's worth playing for that alone. The characters themselves are a bit underdeveloped but it's not a big deal.

Overall would you be able to play it today and say "that was the best game ever!!!" like many did back in 1997? Probably not. But I but you can play it today and say "I can see why others thought it was the best game ever back then!". It's still an enjoyable and memorable adventure with some interesting worldbuilding. I'm looking forward to the remake but I'd still lean towards recommending the original until I'm confident the remake didn't change good parts about the original.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-18-2020 at 01:11 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: