View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #462
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
What are hockey parents thoughts on spring hockey etc?

There are a lot of options around the city, I've had my son in a few (Havoc Hockey, Conroy Hockey) and both had their pros and cons.

Those 2 were heavily focused on skill development, I'm curious about the various 3 on 3 type of spring hockey programs that seem to be gaining popularity.
Philosophically I'm in favor of kids changing up sports with the seasons, I think that is better overall for their development. So based on that I am not a fan of spring hockey in general. However I did have my daughter involved with a very informal 3v3 in her later years of minor hockey but it was more of a glorified shinny than a registered group. She knew all the girls and it was more about getting out and playing than having coaches, doing drills etc.

But if I was going to pick between anything and 3v3 I would choose 3v3 every time. I believe the skill development they will get here is superior to other environments. They get more touches, more chances to do things, and their is no traditional forward and defence so they learn about transitioning and are forced to play F and D by default because of this. It forces them out of their comfort zone and encourages creativity.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: