View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #1026
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I used to like the Microsoft Surface lineup when I had limited interactions with it, but holy hell after supporting a bunch of Surface laptops and Surface books for the last 2 years in a work environment I'm convinced to never buy another Microsoft hardware product again. First, the Surface docks are absolutely terrible. Wired ethernet will drop out randomly, requiring a full reboot to fix. Displays will drop to a 640x480 resolution after unlocking, requiring a reboot or disconnecting/reconnecting the dock. Sometimes the USB ports stop working for keyboard and mouse, requiring disconnecting/reconnecting. And in 2 instances I've had the docks cause Surface laptops to hard lock after the user locks their screen, requiring them to hold the power button to cold boot it

Then Microsoft released a new driver for the WiFi adapter in all the Surface units that completely broke compatibility with Ubiquiti wireless networks. Had to manually revert the driver on each laptop to an older version and blacklist the update in WSUS to fix it. The Surface Books have their own unique issues, sometimes the screen refuses to undock for tablet mode until a reboot is performed. Other times the Nvidia GPU in the keyboard base disconnects and won't be recognized by Windows until another reboot is done. And all the Surface units still suffer from terrible WiFi even when the drivers are working, able to pick up an IP address but have zero network connectivity until a reboot is done

Thankfully my boss and upper management have agreed that these units are pieces of crap and we'll be swapping to Dell when their warranties are up. They may be decent for home use, but I never want to support another Surface device in a corporate environment again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: