View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #1858
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
You're right, Shapiro, Atkins and Montoyo are trying but it's not bearing any fruit.

Unfortunately from my perspective this front office needs a win.

If I am a season ticket holder who was paying $645 in 2014 to now paying $1813 for the same tickets; after just the seeing them put up 67 wins and the 5th worst record in the league, trot out a 50-60 million dollar team, with a spare parts pitching staff and Derek Fisher in the outfield I would likely be spending my money elsewhere.

Signing or acquiring good players who are known commodities with fans makes people want to go see games.

Despite the Philies not making the playoffs last year and Bryce Harper only being less than great their attendance went up 26%, simply because they signed Harper.
That's probably why after they continue to whiff on all the big names we end up seeing some combination of Smoak, Edwin, Happ (trade) and Price (trade) brought in.

Name recognition from the playoff teams for the fan base to snuggle up to, while at the same time actually adding wins to the roster for a fair price. (That's assuming they don't take on full salaries in trades for those pitchers and also don't give up anything of value).
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote